Principles for Christ’s Mission
A few principles drawn from Lesslie Newbigin’s article “Mission in Christ’s Way”.
– The mission is God’s and it has been the same from the beginning of creation.
– The mission is to draw all people into God’s kingdom
– God’s kingdom = Jesus Christ, his words and his actions, past, present and future.
– The mission is grown and sustained by the Holy Spirit alone.
– Our participation in God’s mission is a gift of his grace.
– The mission is an announcement in power, through word and deed, of the facts of God’s kingdom.
– Words without deeds are empty; deeds without words are dumb.
– The method for participating in the mission is best illustrated by Jesus’ hands and side: John 20:20-23 “…he showed them his hands and his side. […] Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.””